Blogging is an incredibly valuable activity to many people for a variety of reasons. It’s not just for businesses. And if writing comes naturally to you, it can be a lot of fun. For reasons why it may by a good idea for your business to have a blog, read our article Why Have a Blog? If you’d like some tips about blogging, keep reading.
Our Top 20 Blogging Tips
- Make a commitment to your blog.
- Write about what you love and what you know. Be informative. Provide Value.
- Be different. Content is King.
- Make it conversational and informal. A blog is where your personality can shine through.
- Use imagery. People are very visual.
- Formatting matters. Make it inviting and easy to read. Stick with your branding. Don’t use crazy colours.
- Do your research. Pick up tips from other blogs.
- Be kind and personable. Respond to questions and comments.
- Define your goals before you start writing; for example, maybe you are trying to establish yourself as an expert in your field.
- Know your audience. Keep the posts fresh and current.
- Write content that is keyword rich, especially if your goal is to increase visibility of your website.
- Write at least 300 to 500 words. Balance content volume with shareable info like an Infographic.
- PLEASE Spell check and proofread. While you’re at it – know that it’s not cool to use all caps (in the online world it’s tantamount to yelling).
- Add share buttons to your blog so your posts are easily shared by others to their social media and via email.
- Ensure good use of tags and categories.
- Ensure that you add a meta description and meta keywords to EACH post. This is what people will see when Google search pulls up your topic.
- Write articles as a guest blogger on other people’s blogs if their business is relevant to yours and it’s a quality website. Include a bio and back link to your own website/blog. This has Search Engine Optimization (SEO) value.
- Share your own blog posts to social media. Write articles with value enough that your target audience will want to share it with their followers!
- Be consistent. Release one blog post a week if you can – one a month if that’s all you have time for. If your blogs latest articles are several months old, your blog will appear abandoned and won’t reflect well on your business. Scheduling tools are available on most blogging platforms including WordPress.
- Include your blog as part of your web design so that when you DO get traffic as a result of your well written and informative posts, visitors will check out your website and services/products while they are there.
You don’t have to be a journalist or professional writer to have a blog. If it’s not something you feel comfortable with, hire a professional for their content writing expertise. This is a service we offer at Original Ginger.
Call us at 778.298.1966 and we can chat about a content marketing package that will work for you.