A blog allows you to share information with your readers in a more informal way than your website pages or marketing materials do. As a business, you can use your blog to boost your website ranking with search engines, establish yourself as an expert, create brand awareness and more. The articles you write for your blog will depend on what type of business you are, who your target market is, and what you are trying to accomplish.
I’ve outlined below just a few of the benefits to your business when you blog:
- Increased brand awareness;
- An opportunity to show your brand personality;
- A way to promote and share community initiatives;
- A chance to network with other businesses who may be interested in a reciprocal guest writing arrangement.
- Boosted Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and increased website traffic when blogs are written strategically;
- Elevated engagement with potential new clients;
- Learning opportunities for your existing clients.
How Blogs Work
A blog is typically set up to list articles (referred to as posts) in ascending order — the freshest, newest posts at the top and the oldest moving down the page. Since most of the other pages on your website are fairly static information, a blog is a way to attract the search engines, given that content is updated frequently and consistently.
Get The Word Out
There are many ways to get the word out about your blog, and subsequently your website:
- Provide links on social media back to your blog or a specific article. Make sure that the information is relevant and useful to the audience — it’s about informing and sharing information.
- Provide strategically written content that is interesting to your readers first and foremost — write for the search engines second.
- Provide share buttons on your blog to make it easier for you and others to share your information via social media and email;
- Network with other bloggers and reciprocate links;
- Include blog links in your newsletter. Repurpose specific post topics in email campaigns and send to segmented subscriber lists based on their interests.
Blogs Boost Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Encourage people to share your blog posts — the more quality links you have out there the more people will engage with your brand.
- Write blog articles including links that track to other related articles you’ve written — search engines like this!
- When someone searches for a specific topic using keywords contained in your blog content, the search engines will find it.
The time and energy it takes to write blog articles is time well spent in the long term. It’s about sharing information and building a rapport with your audience. If you don’t have the time to write the articles yourselves there are many agencies like ours who can provide content writing services — so don’t let that stop you.